Palmetto Healthy Start
Palmetto Healthy Start is located in Columbia, S.C., and is a member of the National Healthy Start Initiative. Palmetto Healthy Start serves women, infants and their families who live in Richland and Fairfield Counties. Since its inception, Palmetto Healthy Start has increased prenatal care for pregnant women, reduced low birth weight infant rates and reduced infant morality rates among its program participants.
The mission of Palmetto Healthy Start is to reduce rates of infant mortality and low birth weight infants and to increase access to healthcare for pregnant women and their families, thus reducing racial disparities in the healthcare system. Palmetto Healthy Start delivers its services through a community-based approach and collaborates with community leaders, participants, public services and businesses to challenge communities to address the medical, behavioral and psychosocial needs of women and infants. Palmetto Healthy Start’s friendly staff supports participants throughout their pregnancy until their child’s second birthday. The services provided below are free of charge to Palmetto Healthy Start participants:
- Assessment of social, medical and environmental needs
- Coordination of care and services
- Home visitation services
- Physician referrals for expecting mothers and their infants
- Parenting education
- Monthly Community Connection meetings
- Increased availability of OB and pediatric providers
- Fatherhood/Male Involvement Initiative
- Childbirth and infant CPR classes
- Oral health services
- Pre-maturity prevention
- Repeat Pregnancy Prevention Initiative
- To provide services, Palmetto Healthy Start reaches and serves its participants through a variety of activities designed to identify and enroll expecting mothers for the prenatal care they need. Outreach activities are conducted to ensure that participants receive appropriate prenatal care, keep scheduled appointments, are provided educational material and are referred to resources they need.
Your Child Deserves a Healthy Start!
If you are pregnant and reside in Richland or Fairfield counties, please call Palmetto Healthy Start at 803.296.3780 or toll free at 888.788.4367, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. to enroll. Give your baby the healthy start he or she deserves!