First Choice values our female members. We know that, as women, you have special needs. As your partner in health, we're here to help. That's why we help you arrange appointments with doctors who specialize in women's health and work to keep you healthy. Visits to these doctors are called well-woman visits, and they are a vital part of your well-being.
What is a well-woman visit?
We recommend you have a well-woman visit every year. Well-woman visits consist of the following:
Your doctor will review your general paperwork and medical history during your visit. You may also be scheduled for or take lab tests.
What to expect at your well-woman visit
When you first get to the doctor's office, you will be asked to fill out some forms while you are in the waiting room. These forms will ask you questions about:
- Any illness or conditions that you may have
- Any habits you have (if you drink or smoke)
- Any previous pregnancies
- Your family's health history
- The date of your last period
In the exam room, a nurse will check your height, weight, and blood pressure and may ask you for a routine blood and/or a urine sample. This is all a normal part of every well woman visit, and your nurse and doctor will do their best to make sure you are comfortable.
The doctor will then check you for any possible health problems. Your doctor's main goal is to make sure everything they check is normal.
The doctor may give you following exams:
- Breast exam - Your doctor may check your breasts for signs of any problems, such as a lump. You will also be shown how to examine your breasts at home.
- Pelvic exam - Depending on your age, you may or may not have a pelvic exam during your first visit. If you have had sex or are having any problems, a pelvic exam may be needed.
- Pap test - This screening test for the early detection of cervical cancer is recommended every 1 to 3 years. More frequent pap tests are recommended for some women.
When the exam is over, the doctor will talk with you. Don't be afraid to ask any questions — your doctor is there to help you. Your discussions with your doctor and nurses are confidential.
How do I schedule a well-woman visit?
Call your PCP to schedule a well-woman visit. Call First Choice Member Services at 1-888-276-2020 for more information or for help scheduling a visit.