Asthma Care Center
Everyday healthy habits
Do you want to say “I am healthy”? You can start now. There are things you can do today—and every day—to lead a healthy life.
- Eat a healthy diet. Fix a colorful plate that has fruits, vegetables, lean proteins and dairy. Watch your portions. Have small healthy snacks, like an apple, in between meals. Talk to your doctor about healthy eating habits.
- Keep a healthy weight. Even small changes in weight can make a big difference in your health. Tools like digital scales and body mass index (BMI) charts can help you find a healthy weight for your age, sex and height.
- Exercise. Regular physical activity may keep heart and blood flow problems away. It can decrease the risk for heart disease and other health conditions. Adults should exercise for 30 minutes every day, children 60 minutes. But if you don’t have a lot of free time, even 15 minutes of exercise a day can make a difference.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Park at a parking spot further away from the door.
- Play with your children or grandchildren outside.
- Take a dance class for fun.
- Don’t smoke. One of the best things you can do for your health is to quit smoking, especially if you have an existing health condition.
Talk with your doctor about what you should do to take care of you.