Heart Failure Prevention Program — Heart First®
First ChoiceSM by Select Health of South Carolina members with heart failure can join a special program to help them manage their condition.
Call 1-888-276-2020 (TTY 1-888-765-9586), and select the options for Rapid Response/Care Management, or visit the member portal today to join the Heart First heart failure program.
What can the Heart First heart failure program do for me?
With treatment, you can help control heart failure. This care management program can help you learn:
- More about heart failure.
- More about the medicines you take.
- Why it is important to know your weight.
- Why you should avoid salty foods that can cause you to hold fluids (get puffy feet, "hold water").
What is heart failure?1
Heart failure happens because your heart muscle is weak and there is too much fluid inside of it. Without proper treatment, heart failure can:
- Cause your legs, feet, and ankles to swell.
- Cause confusion or impaired thinking.
- Cause loss of appetite or nausea.
- Cause coughing and wheezing that won't stop, making it difficult for you to breathe.
- Make your heart work harder.
- Make your energy level low.
- Be very dangerous to your life.
Join the Heart First heart failure program today
To join the Heart First heart failure program, please call 1-888-276-2020 (TTY 1-888-765-9586), and select the options for Rapid Response/Care Management.
Or, you can log in to the member portal and go to Enroll in a Special Program.
If you were a part of but no longer want to be in the Heart First heart failure program, call 1-888-276-2020 (TTY 1-888-765-9586), and select the options for Rapid Response/Care Management. Leaving the program will not change your benefits. It will also not change the way First Choice or Healthy Connections treats you.
1. “Warning Signs of Heart Failure,” American Heart Association, https://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/heart-failure/warning-signs-of-heart-failure.