Makena and 17P program
About the 17 Alpha Hydroxyprogesterone Caproate (MakenaTM and 17P) program
First Choice by Select Health has a special interest in the health of babies and children in South Carolina. In 2008, with unplanned preterm births increasing in the state, we developed a program that reduces preterm births for pregnant members with a history of spontaneous preterm birth.
As we developed the program, we assembled a committee, where our maternal fetal specialists developed guidelines for the use of 17 alpha-hydroxyprogesterone caproate (Makena and 17P).
Based on research and with input from this committee, the results strongly supported using Makena and 17P to reduce the risks of recurring preterm births for at-risk members.
Select Health was the first plan in South Carolina to offer Makena and 17P to its members.
Makena and 17P program offers
- Benefit coverage guidelines for Makena and 17P
- Physician awareness of advantages of Makena and 17P use
- Identification of high-risk pregnant members
- Member awareness of the importance of early and consistent prenatal and postpartum care
- Collaboration with the Medical University of South Carolina’s department of Maternal Fetal Medicine
- Site visits to OB-GYN offices to review guidelines and encourage appropriate use of Makena and 17P
- In-home administration of Makena and 17P for members on bed rest or those in rural areas who have difficulty with transportation
Results of 17P program
Select Health has experienced a number of beneficial outcomes from Makena and17P. When used according to protocol, Makena and 17P:
- Shows up to a 73 percent reduction in recurring preterm births in eligible members
- Significantly lowers rates of necrotizing enterocolitis
- Lowers rates of intraventricular hemorrhage
- Lowers the need for supplemental oxygen in infants
For more information about the Makena and 17P program or to learn how you can become a First Choice participating provider, call Provider Services at 1-800-741-6605.