Choosing Your PCP
Get to know your PCP.
When you join First Choice by Select Health of South Carolina, you must choose a doctor from the First Choice provider directory to help your family get health care. This doctor is your primary care provider, or PCP. You can choose a different PCP for each family member or you can choose one for the entire family.
Picking a PCP
Providers listed in the First Choice directory have agreed to take care of First Choice members like you. These providers meet strict standards for quality care.
If you do not select a PCP within 14 calendar days from enrollment, we will call you to help you choose one. To find out more about providers in the directory, call Member Services at 1-888-276-2020.
Make an appointment
Make an appointment with your PCP right away, before you get sick. Call the office of each PCP you choose for your family and make an appointment for a medical checkup. Make your first appointment within 30 days of joining First Choice.
At the PCP's office during your appointment
- When you get to the PCP's office, you will need to give information about each family member's health and medical history. Answer all of the questions as best as you can.
- The PCP will give you or your family member a medical checkup. He or she will also talk to you about your health or your family member's health.
- Ask as many questions as you like.
- You may always stay in the exam room with your child.
- Listen carefully to any directions the PCP gives you.
- If you do not understand what your PCP wants you to do, call the PCP's office day or night.
Arrange for transportation
Call the Medicaid Transportation Broker for your county if you need help getting to your appointment. For more information, visit the SC Healthy Connections Transportation Beneficiary Information page or call Member Services toll free at 1-888-276-2020 for more information.
You may change your PCP by calling Member Services at 1-888-276-2020. We will help you choose a PCP over the phone.
The change will happen the first day of the next month.
You will get a new ID card when you change your PCP. When you get the new card, please destroy your old card.