FDA Regulated Items and Recalls
MedWatch is a program by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) that keeps track of medical product recalls, drug recalls, and safety alerts. MedWatch receives reports from the public and, when appropriate, publishes safety alerts for FDA-regulated products such as:
- Prescription and over-the-counter medicines
- Biologics such as blood components, blood/plasma derivatives, and gene therapies
- Medical devices such as hearing aids, breast pumps, and pacemakers
- Combination products such as pre-filled drug syringes, metered-dose inhalers, and nasal sprays
- Special nutritional products, such as dietary supplements, medical foods, and infant formulas
- Cosmetics, such as moisturizers, makeup, shampoos, hair dyes, and tattoos
- Food, such as beverages and ingredients added to foods
Other products that the FDA regulates include tobacco products; vaccines; and animal drugs, devices, and food, including pet food. These products utilize different reporting pathways, and it is recommended that reports concerning these products be submitted directly to the appropriate portals.
On the MedWatch page, scroll down to see the most recent safety alerts, or use the search and filter options to look up specific information.