Benefit information about COVID-19
Attention First Choice Plan Members: Important Benefit Information Related to Coronavirus and COVID-19
At First Choice by Select Health of South Carolina, we care about your health and safety. Now, more than ever, we are committed to serving the needs of our First Choice plan members, helping ensure continued access to quality health care.
We are actively working with federal, state and local partners to respond to the outbreak of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). President Donald Trump has declared a national state of emergency. Governor Henry McMaster has also declared a state of emergency here in South Carolina. In response, the South Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (SCDHHS) has issued several temporary policy changes for the health and safety of Healthy Connections Medicaid members.
In partnership with SCDHHS, First Choice by Select Health is announcing the following
Effective for dates of service on or after February 4, 2020:
Coverage of COVID-19 Testing
- Select Health will cover COVID-19 testing.
- COVID-19 testing will not require prior authorization or a copay.
- If you have any questions about whether you should be tested, call your primary care provider. They will work with the state, the local public health department, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to see if you need to be tested for COVID-19.
- Providers, for more information on diagnosis code guidance, please visit the CDC’s official coding guidelines available here on CDC’s website.
Effective for dates of service on or after March 15, 2020:
Waiver of Copays
- Members will have no copayments for office visits.
- Members may refill their prescription medicines (non-opioid/non-controlled substance) earlier than usual to help ensure a sufficient supply.
- Members may receive a temporary, 72-hour supply of medicines that normally require a prior authorization.
- Use of out-of-network pharmacies will be authorized upon member request when access to in-network pharmacies is difficult, unsafe, or not practical.
Access to health care
- Use of certified out-of-network and/or out-of-state providers will be allowed for medically necessary services.
- Members may also receive health care services by phone or through video interaction with their health care provider.
Important numbers and resources
Members needing assistance, please call:
- First Choice Member Services at 1-888-276-2020 (TTY 1-888-765-9586).
- 24/7 Nurse Call Line at 1-800-304-5436.
Providers needing assistance, please call:
- 1-888-559-1010 for Utilization Management or Authorizations, if applicable.
- 1-866-368-4562 for Utilization Management Fax Line.
- 1-888-276-2020 for Member Eligibility.
For the most up-to-date information about coronavirus and COVID-19, visit: